Gaslighting Advice from Crawley Polygraph Examiner
Gaslighting within a relationship may not be something a victim is aware of, as our Crawley Polygraph Examiner explains.
What is gaslighting?
Gaslighting can occur in any relationship but is most common in marriages and domestic partnerships.
Usually, it begins with the abuser criticising you constantly, and systematically destroying your self-confidence. Gaslighters are controlling individuals that emotionally abuse their victims. It can lead to victims questioning their sanity and their perception of reality.
The expression comes from the 1944 movie ‘Gaslight’. It features a wife who believes she is going crazy when she sees gas lights in their home dimming. Her husband is dimming them but tells her she is hallucinating.
There are many forms of gaslighting but here are some common ones:
- Accusing you of being over-sensitive or irrational when they have belittled you or shown no concern for your feelings. Usually, your concerns are perfectly valid.
- Questioning your memory of what they or you have said, or events.
- Denying that something happened, or accusing you of imagining an event, when you know it occurred.
- Refusing to engage in a discussion with you by pretending they don’t know what you are talking about.
- Questioning your credibility by suggesting “That’s something ridiculous you saw on the internet”.
Symptoms of being gaslighted
Here are some of the most common symptoms of gaslighting:
- Saying sorry when it isn’t your fault
- Finding it difficult or impossible to make decisions
- Reconsidering something you know to be true
- Feeling confused, withdrawn or depressed
- Justifying the gaslighter´s behaviour or telling lies for them
Resolving gaslighting issues
If you believe you are a victim of gaslighting there are several things you can do to resolve it.
You can discuss the matter with someone close to you, for example a best friend or trusted relative. Describe what is happening to you and ask for their opinion. Counselling is also available in all parts of the UK, whether face to face or over the internet.
Consider separating from your abusive partner. Gaslighters are manipulative and controlling bullies and nothing good can come of a relationship with any of them.
At Lie Detector Test UK we have a specialised gaslighting lie detector test. We are able to determine what a person’s commitment is to a relationship and much more. Gaslighters always deny that they are doing it but the polygraph catches them out every time.
Crawley Polygraph Examiner
Our Crawley Polygraph Examiner is available to help you in Surrey and the Home Counties. However, at Lie Detector Test UK, we have polygraph examiners working nationwide. Book a test online using our secure booking system and choose the test location you would like.
If you would like to confidentially discuss your case with our friendly, professional customer care representatives they are waiting for your call on our Free Helpline 0800 368 8277.